The future of KDE Development on Windows

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Thu Apr 3 14:59:33 UTC 2014

On 04/03/2014 03:41 AM, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
/snip/

> I find people expect native installers on windows, be it exe or msi.
> If you ask I'd look at priorities to see what apps to maintain on
> Windows, look what type of app is otherwise unavailable on
> Windows/Mac. Krita or Kexi comes as example. For apps that exist on
> Windows/Mac already and are hugely popular, like web browsers or text
> editors (Notepad++ which is FOSS), porting KDE equivalent (Kate) still
> can happen but mostly if there's special interest at KDE side. I do
> not expect particular popularity just because the app comes from KDE,
> expect when other ported apps benefit from them as components (here:
> Kate part).

I guess I'm at least partly to blame for this discussion. I happen to
like Kate, as I'm familiar with it, and not with Notepad++, but in my
original post, I mentioned
specifically something you can't get on Windows, AFAIK, even if you pay
for it: KSnapshot. A single app that lets you save a piece of the screen
and print it
all from the same app, without having to open another app and paste and
then print. But it doesn't work. It would be nice if you folks would fix
it.  There's something
fundamentally dumb about the snipping Tool!