The future of KDE Development on Windows

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Apr 3 01:50:01 UTC 2014

Hi,
To be honest, I didn't expect people to use the occasion for ranting. We
all know it's been hard to do multiplatform development on kdelibs 4,
that's for granted. That's why some of us went through kdelibs and made it
become the KDE Frameworks 5. It's been a massive project, and we've done it
for cases like KDE Windows.

I think we should take this occasion to take a step back and re-consider
the project. Let's figure out how we want things to work, what we liked
from what we used to have and what we didn't.

Some questions pop in my head:
- We want KDE on Windows to keep being a distribution? Should it be a
development platform or a site to download installers?
- Do we want to focus on applications?
- What's the Plasma role in KDE Windows?
- What frameworks to we want supported on Windows? [1]
- How has Windows changed since 4.0 release?

I think there's a huge space for discussion there and now it's the moment
when it should take place, so that we can plan the bigger picture by taking
Windows into account.

Aleix

[1] http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/List