www.winkde.org outage

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 14:56:32 UTC 2013

Am 19.03.2013 15:19, schrieb Jeff Harp:
> Ralf,
>
> Thanks for the quick response to the comment I added to KDE bug 316204
> and the proposed workaround.
>
> I'm in the eastern US and tried the installer link last night about 2
> hours after receiving your reply.  It was invalid.  The installer
> directory was visible on the SF site, but could not be accessed.
> Perhaps the changes you made had not propagated through the entire SF
> system yet.  Being familiar with SF URL formats, I tried the following:
>
> http://netcologne.dl.sourceforge.net/project/kde-windows/installer/kdewin-installer-gui-0.9.9-8.exe
>
> It worked and I was able to download the 32-bit installer.
Thanks for this pointer, which is usefull also for others.

> Following up on my bug comment, this new file is the same size as the
> one I retrieved previously via FTP from www.winkde.org, but is not a
> binary equivalent.  So it does seem like the file is corrupt on the
> other server(s), or those server(s) is/are corrupting the file upon
> download.
we encountered this too.

> I created a directory "C:\kdewin" for downloading, created the file
> mirrors-remote.lst in that directory, and ran the installer.  I chose
> "download only".  It asked for an installation directory and suggested
> "C:\ProgramData\KDE" (running W7).  This seemed to me like an odd place
> to store executables, so I changed it to "C:\Program Files\KDE".  I
> chose "End User" and "MSVC" for install mode.  I entered "C:\kdewin" as
> the download path.  The installer then displayed an error "failed to
> download site list page from http://downloads.sourceforge.net/kde-windows/".
You added

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/kde-windows/"

as url in the mirrors-remote.lst, which is wrong.

Using

http://netcologne.dl.sourceforge.net/project/kde-windows/releases

works for me.

As an alternative you may leave mirrors-remote.lst empty, so that the installer do not look for mirrors on the remote locations and enter the above mentioned url in the Download Servers Settings page.

>Looks like prerequisite software is missing, although the installer did
>not tell me that through the GUI.  Also looks like the config.txt file
>may have an invalid entry in it, and that the installer tried to
>download another file using an invalid URL (file name is missing).
>Based on what I'm seeing, I'm going to give up on this.

Please use the above mentioned url. Because og the mirror list server
failure there are no valid mirror urls available.
I'm going to find a better fallback location for this mirror list.

> All I wanted to
> do was install the Kate text editor on Windows.  I'm a developer, so the
> idea of building software doesn't bother me, but in this case I'm just
> an end-user who wants an installer that provides a runnable Windows
> application.
>
> Thanks again for your efforts.
Please let me know if it works for you.

Regards