kdelibs frameworks buildsystem under Windows

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Mar 5 17:43:21 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 05 March 2013, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
> > It would be nice (I mean *really* nice) if somebody from the Windows team
> > could have a look at the cmake code and give integrating thwe manifest
> > support
> > stuff for mingw a try.
> > Otherwise I think we'll have a serious problem with KDE frameworks under
> > Windows.
> >
> > I'll try to support you as best as I can. Bill (from CMake) already
> > signalled
> > support for the idea.
>
> I understand it would be cool and good that you and Bill support it, but is
> it a blocker? What does it mean serious problems? Isn't it something that
> can be added later?

Currently, the macro kde4_add_executable() calls _kde4_add_manifest():

macro (KDE4_ADD_EXECUTABLE _target_NAME)

   add_executable(${_target_NAME} ${_add_executable_param} ${_SRCS})

   IF (KDE4_ENABLE_UAC_MANIFEST)
       _kde4_add_manifest(${_target_NAME})
   ENDIF(KDE4_ENABLE_UAC_MANIFEST)

In KF5 there is no add_executable() wrapper macro, and the plan is that we
don't need such a wrapper macro anymore.
Everything else (if I didn't miss something) can now be done directly using
cmake.
Having to add this code to create a manifest for an executable if under
Windows and if using mingw in every CMakeLists.txt is not a good option.

So, in this regard, it is kind of serious.

Alex