Quick issue report for updating from 4.8.0 to 4.10.2

Patrick Nagel mail at patrick-nagel.net
Sat Jun 29 10:14:24 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm mainly using kate and konversation on Windows, and I updated to 4.10.2
(coming from 4.8.0) a few days ago.

After the Installer (version 1.0.0) completed the upgrade process, I
couldn't launch any KDE program (kate, konversation, systemsettings), they
all gave me the same error message: "libiconv.dll missing". After some
googling (which interestingly didn't bring up anything useful), I just tried
copying the "iconv.dll" under bin to "libiconv.dll". This seemed to have
solved that issue.

The programs then reported that "bzip2.dll" was missing. Again Google didn't
bring up anything useful, so I searched on my harddrive for "bzip2.dll", and
found one in some old Amarok for Windows installation (which I'm not really
using anymore, since I don't use that Windows laptop for playing music
anymore at all). I copied it into bin, and then all programs started working
as expected.

Maybe some slight dependency changes can make this upgrade process more smooth.

Thanks for keeping KDE for Windows alive, kate is a very important tool for
me that I use daily, even now that I'm forced to use Windows at work. And
konversation is just the best GUI IRC client out there. I like very much
that I can use these tools both at home on my Linux box and on my work laptop!

Cheers,
Patrick.