Emerge : error while install kdelib on windows with emerge python 33 no module info

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Jan 10 19:30:37 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Wednesday 09 January 2013, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> We would need to fix those anyway as that is the last release. There are
> bugs everywhere, and I am sure there will be bugs in 4.9 not even
> considered. Still, I would consider a stable branch for newcomers, and fix
> the problem appearing.

agreed, if there *is* any newcomer friendly stable branch at all. My
recommendation for 4.9 is simply based on my personal - and thus extremely
narrow - experience. 4.9 gave me less trouble than 4.8. But yes, almost
certainly there will be regressions, too.

> It is better to have less, but more stable branches now and also in the
> future in my opinion.

I agree. But which branches to focus on? master is a "natural" keep. Besides
that we'd keep whichever branch(es) is(are) the focus for the next binary
release(s). I used to assume that's kde-4.9.

But perhaps the real question is: *Is* there a release target/focus at all,
ATM? (And if so, where would be the canonical place to read up on this?)

As far as kde-4.8 and older is concerned: Surely, having working "archives"
would be fairly desirable(*). But IMO, that's not a top priority for emerge.
If you want a stable *release*, you can use the binaries. But the key selling
point for emerge is that you want to do development (or stand at the bleeding
edge, watching develoment). For that purpose you're most likely to pick the
youngest branches.

Regards
Thomas

(*): Talking about archives: Suppose, every time a release has been created,
self-contained snapshots of the build root would be created (one for each
arch), archived, and offered for download. I.e. something like what I've
zipped up for kde 4.9, mingw4, 32bit (http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-
windows&m=135541718223018&w=2). Interested developers (particularly, but not
only, third-party devs) could simply download and unpack these, and be sure to
get a working environment - even years later. I think that would be one great
way to lower the entry barriers to KDE on Windows development.