[IMPORTANT] Change in branch handling in emerge

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Feb 12 16:05:22 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Tuesday 12 February 2013, Andre Heinecke wrote:
> At Tuesday 12 February 2013 10:02:02 Patrick Spendrin wrote:
> > default target changes for kde packages aren't needed anymore because I
> > added a way to set the targets and the branch in one file for all KDE
> > packages in master and kde-4.10.

what about default targets on dependencies which are not kde packages?

> > > Can you give an example workflow for a patch that you want to apply in
> > > the 4.9 4.10 and master branches and apply it to the targets for 4.9
> > > 4.10 and master?
> >
> > You need to apply this in 4.9 and in 4.10, then merge 4.10 to master. In
> > the case the patch applies to both 4.9 and 4.10, you could first apply
> > the patch in 4.10, then cherry-pick this to 4.9, otherwise you will have
> > to apply the patch in both branches.
> >
> > Merging from 4.10 to master is possible nowadays.
>
> Nice, in that case this workflow should work in the same way it does for
> other parts of KDE.

Could you translate that into a prototypical sequence of commands to type (for
the mildly git-impaired folks like myself)? Also, in kdelibs, merging to
master happens all by itself (the magic "it" being David Faure). Will the same
work in emerge.git, in case I forget to merge to master (or in case git scares
me off with something I don't understand)?

Regards
Thomas