Drop win32libs-bin

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Tue Sep 18 09:26:32 UTC 2012

Am 18.09.2012 10:42, schrieb Ralf Habacker:
> Am 17.09.2012 09:18, schrieb Andre Heinecke:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Saturday 15 September 2012 16:05:45 Patrick von Reth wrote:
>>> Hi what do you think about dropping win32libs-bin.
>>>
>>>     - They are not maintained
>>>     - Providing binary packages isn't that easy
>>>     - You don't save that much time using prebuild win32libs
>> I'm all for it, as said before, in my opinion there are two
>> distributions. The
>> Source distribution (emerge) which should build everything possible from
>> source and the binary distribution (the installer). Mixing them is
>> just added
>> overhead with no real value.
>>
>> Personally I'm building sourceonly for a very long time now and I am not
>> updating the binary packages.
>>
>> As we've already made sourceonly default at the last sprint dropping the
>> binary packages should not hurt anyone.
> Are there any binary package left in the win32libs section for which no
> source package is available ?

ghostscript
openldap
runtime-ce
xerces-c

I would say we move those out into a different category (or try to get
source packages from those).
I started source packages for openldap and xerces-c but I am currently
not sure what the state of it is (Andre might know about openldap).
ghostscript might be worth a new attempt at trying a source package,
even if split per compiler like openssl.
runtime-ce could go into a separate category anyway.

> Regards
> Ralf

regards,
Patrick