Drop win32libs-bin

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Tue Sep 18 09:24:56 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Tuesday 18 September 2012 10:42:08 Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Am 17.09.2012 09:18, schrieb Andre Heinecke:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Saturday 15 September 2012 16:05:45 Patrick von Reth wrote:
> >> Hi what do you think about dropping win32libs-bin.
> >>
> >>     - They are not maintained
> >>     - Providing binary packages isn't that easy
> >>     - You don't save that much time using prebuild win32libs
> >
> > I'm all for it, as said before, in my opinion there are two
> > distributions. The Source distribution (emerge) which should build
> > everything possible from source and the binary distribution (the
> > installer). Mixing them is just added overhead with no real value.
> >
> > Personally I'm building sourceonly for a very long time now and I am not
> > updating the binary packages.
> >
> > As we've already made sourceonly default at the last sprint dropping the
> > binary packages should not hurt anyone.
>
> Are there any binary package left in the win32libs section for which no
> source package is available ?
I've checked:

Only in win32libs-bin:
ghostscript
openldap
runtime-ce
xerces-c

- openldap we have an alternative in testing.
- runtime-ce should go to libs or binary category (libs is the place where
runtime-multi is located)
- xerces-c we need for libkolabxml and also have started on a source package
in testing

This makes ghostscript the last package for which we not already have, or are
working on, a source package.

Regards,
Andre

--