[Kile-devel] Kile on Windows: Save and Load Dialog inconsistency

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Thu Jun 14 08:33:19 UTC 2012

Am 14.06.2012 10:09, schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Thursday 14 June 2012, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 1:04 AM, Mogliii <mogliii at gmx.net> wrote:
>>> Forwarding from kile-devel
>>> Does anyone of have an answer? Is kile supposed to have different
>>> dialogs for opening/saving?
>>
>> Sounds like Kile is using the static QFileDialog::openFileName() function
>> to get a filename to open, this function uses the native dialog on all
>> platforms by default and hence would open the windows native dialog.
>
> Another possibility is that on saving, kile uses KFileDialog::getSaveUrl()
> with a non-local, not empty startdir parameter, such as a kfiledialog://-url.
> Look at kfile/kfiledialog.cpp for details of when KFileDialog dispatches to
> QFileDialog. (And, BTW, personally, I think native filedialogs work
> surprisingly well, but should _not_ be the default).

I also don't think this should have been the default, but we kind of
rely on that now.
The native filedialogs from within KDE do have certain
restrictions/bugs, e.g. they do not have all the informations from the
KDE file dialogs, e.g. iirc I fixed a bug once about the mimetype
selected in the save dialog, which was working with KDE file dialogs,
but of course since Qt doesn't understand mimetypes natively, I had to
stuff the things into KDE. Such bugs are to be expected...

> Regards
> Thomas

regards,
Patrick