Use devel-package to build KDE apps from source?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jun 12 15:04:55 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Patrick Spendrin <ps_ml at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 12.06.2012 16:11, schrieb Andre Heinecke:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tuesday 12 June 2012 15:14:56 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm wondering wether it should be possible to install the Devel packages
> >> from kde-win-installer and use the installed stuff to build KDE apps
> from
> >> source?
> > Theroretically yes. Bit its not practical I do not know of anyone who
> does
> > this and it is neither documented nor really tested. At least you would
> also
> > need some dev utils like a compiler or cmake, perl etc. and then you
> would
> > have to manually set up an environment. Make sure you use the right build
> > options so that everything is found etc. etc.
>
> Don't forget to change the hardcoded paths that do exist in the packages
> from the kde installer which do contain the path from build location.

Thats what I actually stumbled over (see my other mail), I had hoped the
installer would magically fix that.

> Also it probably gets hard to change the buildtype due to cmake
> restrictions and the Microsoft runtimes (if you would use msvc).

What would help if there were more fine-grained options, i.e. a "add debug
symbols, but link against release Qt/MSVC runtime". Basically a way of
adding the /Zi flag for the compiler but linking against Qt etc. release
versions. I can handle that locally though, so not a big issue for me.

Andreas