Use devel-package to build KDE apps from source?

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Tue Jun 12 14:11:47 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Tuesday 12 June 2012 15:14:56 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering wether it should be possible to install the Devel packages
> from kde-win-installer and use the installed stuff to build KDE apps from
> source?
Theroretically yes. Bit its not practical I do not know of anyone who does
this and it is neither documented nor really tested. At least you would also
need some dev utils like a compiler or cmake, perl etc. and then you would
have to manually set up an environment. Make sure you use the right build
options so that everything is found etc. etc.

> Or does emerge these days support installing a complete KDE development
> environment without compiling anything?
No Emerge is mostly a source distribution with some binary packages added for
convineance. But emerge is the way to go if you want to compile a KDE
Application from source. It is specifically designed for the task of setting
up a development environment with all necessary tools and the dependencies
you need. I even would encourage you to use EMERGE_SOURCE_ONLY=True because
the binary packages are often a bit outdated.

Regards,
Andre

--
Andre Heinecke |  ++49-541-335083-262 |  http://www.intevation.de/