RFC: switching to python 3

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Tue Jan 3 23:01:02 UTC 2012

Hi everybody,

we are currently thinking about switching emerge to python 3.X. This is
needed as the currently used version is not maintained anymore, there
will be no more 2.7.X release.

Our current plan is to get the python3 branch of emerge so far that we
can build KDE completely and then make the kde-4.8 branch the first one
to use python 3. From the users perspective, there won't be a lot of
changes, most package recipes will stay the same, only internal code
must be changed.

If you have some more ideas or comment please comment below, otherwise
we will try to switch in the coming few weeks before 4.8.0.

regards,
Patrick

p.s.:
If needed, we could also make a 2.7 branch of emerge for kde-4.8 (e.g.
kde-4.8-python2) or a 3.X branch for kde-4.7 so that special issues can
be addressed.