emerge is unreliable for Windows x64

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 20:44:07 UTC 2012

On Sunday 26 February 2012, Patrick Spendrin wrote:
> Am 26.02.2012 19:54, schrieb Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to setup a development environment for KDE in a
> > Windows7-64bit machine, without success so far. I've configured my
> > "kdesettings.bat" with KDECOMPILER=mingw4 and EMERGE_ARCHITECTURE=x64.
> >
> > The problem is that some libraries have the wrong architecture.
>
> Can you please edit your kdesettings.bat and add EMERGE_SOURCEONLY=True
> in there? this should build all packages for you and won't rely on
> binary packages at all (except for tools).

I've already tried that way yesterday, and didn't work either. I've sent a
report about it: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.windows/4081

I've already wasted my whole weekend, and it is clear for me that there is a
severe bug in emerge, when it ignores the EMERGE_ARCHITECTURE setting. I don't
have time now to recompile everything today, or in the next work days, so I
need to put my project on hold and wait until the next weekend.

I don't mind to invest all this time, if there is a chance that this problem
will be fixed. Are you or anybody else in kde-windows going to recognize the
bug, and maybe take a look to it? Or my only hope is to compile the whole open
source world from scratch? If so, then please state in the documentation that
EMERGE_SOURCEONLY is mandatory now for x64.

My last test has been starting from scratch, and trying to emerge a single
package with these steps:
1. create an empty kderoot directory
2. git clone the emerge repository
3. git checkout the kde-4.8 branch
4. edit "etc/kdesettings.bat"
5. emerge 7zip
6. emerge openssl

The last step also fetched zlib 1.2.5-1 from Sourceforge. Instead of the x64
packages, both zlib and openssl are the x86 ones. I've already checked that
the right x64 libraries are available for download at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kde-windows/files/zlib/1.2.5-1/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kde-windows/files/openssl/1.0.0d/

I have detailed logs of this test with EMERGE_VERBOSE=3. If there is somebody
interested, please just ask.

Regards,
Pedro