Trouble with Emerge

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 00:19:30 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 21 February 2012, Andre Heinecke wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 16 Februar 2012 11:20:52 schrieb erle tveit-hansen:
> > Hi!
> > I'm having trouble getting KDE using Emerge. I have edited kdesettings and
> > run kdeenv, but when I try to run emerge qt I get an error message saying
> > there's a syntax error on line 168 of emerge.py, even though I haven't
> > touched it.. I assume this is caused by some other error, but I have no
> > idea what. Any help is appreciated.
>
> There were no changes to this file recently and it works here of course, can
> you please check with git diff that it is really unchanged and also please
> check your Python Version. You need Python 2.7 for emerge.

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/Windows/emerge says:
"Beginning from the KDE 4.8 (including master and the frameworks branch)
Python 3.2 will be required."

The 4.8 announcement at
http://windows.kde.org/news.php#itemKDESoftwareCompilation480forWindowsavailable
also suggests that KDE 4.8 has moved to Python 3.

Following the previous documents, anybody trying emerge for KDE 4.8 will
install Python 3.2, which doesn't work (throws a syntax error on line 168 of
emerge.py)

Can anybody clarify if there is something that requires Python 3 for KDE 4.8,
And if not, please fix the documentation?

Regards,
Pedro