Applications can't start anymore !

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Aug 27 07:21:02 UTC 2012

On Saturday 25 August 2012 Aug, Patrick Gelin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was running kde-windows with kmymoney for one year without any
> problem, then after installing xamp (or may be an other program), no kde
> applications run anymore. When I click on kmymoney icon my PC look
> starting but nothing append... I was wondering if the better solution
> was to desinstall kde windows but I can't find the way : Windows
> software configuration can't access to kde desinstaller, and I can't
> find any application into kde directory to do this. Could you please
> explain me wxhat to do (log file to understand, programm desinstaller
> location...). Thank you for your help.

I wouldn't be surprised if the issue is that xamp (or another program) installed a dll in the windows system path that is provided and needed in another version by the kde applications. Gtk-based applications like gimp are the usual culprit in these cases.

Re-installing kde-win isn't a solution here since kde-win keeps all its dll's in its own path, so it won't override the system-wide dll installed by another application.

There are some tools (that I'm not too familiar with) that can check which dll's are used by an application. I think it's called dll-walker. If you use that on the kde application and find something used from the windows system path like iconv.dll, then that's the problem.

--
Boudewijn Rempt