pkgconfig under Windows ? Was: review FindBlueZ.cmake

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Sun Oct 2 16:24:34 UTC 2011

Am 02.10.2011 00:12, schrieb Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas:
> On Saturday 01 October 2011, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>>>
>>> I've often times heard non-KDE people say pkgconfig used to be broken
>>> but should work fine nowadays, so I'm a bit confused here. It'd be nice
>>> if the kde-windows guys could provide more details on what's the current
>>> state of pkgconfig for them.
>>
>> Yes.
>> Also, whenever I said somewhere that our cmake files must be able to find
>> stuff also without pkgconfig, people replied that nowadays it works just
> fine
>> under Windows.
>>
>> So, Windows developers: what's the current state of pkg-config under Windows
> ?
>> Does it work ?
>
> Yes
>
>> Do you use it ?
>
> Yes. For Qt, KDE and other project types as well.

It doesn't work for Qt, it doesn't work for KDE and most of the other
3rdparty libraries we have also do not use it - also see the mail by Ralf.

>> Does it work with mingw ?
>> Does it work with MSVC ?
>
> Yes, yes. An example of a CMake build system using extensively pkg-config in
> both Windows (MinGW and MSVC) and Linux is FluidSynth:
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/wiki/BuildingWithCMake

Finding glib & gthread is not extensively and could work directly from
cmake. There are FindG*.cmake scripts available in several locations in
KDE which don't rely on pkg-config at all.

> An argument to support using pkg-config for projects that already provide a
> .pc file can be the recent problems with PulseAudio 1.0 and the broken
> findpulseaudio.cmake

We don't use pulseaudio at all.

> Another argument is that looks like KDE would be playing some sort of boycott
> against a freedesktop.org standard.

Could you point us to the point where this is written down as a
standard? pkg-config is hosted by freedesktop.org, but that doesn't mean
it is a standard I would say.

I currently don't see any advantage of pkg-config, only disadvantages,
so there is no way to use that here.

> Regards,
> Pedro

regards,