kdelibs-4.7.2 untar fails

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Thu Nov 10 08:38:59 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Tuesday 18 October 2011 17:30:49 Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Am 18.10.2011 16:05, schrieb Patrick von Reth:
> > Hi
> >
> > If I try to unpack kdelibs 4.7.2 on emerge branch kde-4.7, python
> > untar only extracts a nepumuk direcetory.
> > But the tar is complete, with 7z I can extract it without problems.
> > Does it work for you?
>
> no, same issue here
>
> did it work in the past ?
>
> > As a quick fix I patched my utils.py to untar with 7z, I know its not
> > a solution but its working ;)
> >
> > From some tests with EMERGE_MEASURE_TIME=True in the past I know that
> > unpacking tars with 7z is nearly as fast as  with python untar.
>
> so 7z should be added as recommended package for emerge ?
We had sevenzip as default since Oct 30 now, this lead to strange errors with
openssl, after investigation this turns out to be caused by the symbolic link
handling of 7z on Windows, some symbolic links were extracted as copys, some
were corrupted. A google search on "sevenzip windows symlinks" turns up
several bug reports about this, even some mentioning openssl as an example.
I've reverted untaring with 7zip with commit
http://commits.kde.org/emerge/22b9634cda6d526140487f4c7cf0d4ace1d31be8

Python extracts symlinks as a straightforward copy, this is defined behavior
and it works on all windows platforms.
I would rather have the untar fail early and loudly as it did with kdelibs
then to have it "succeed" and corrupting my data :)

Now with regards to the kdelibs tarball, i think we should check if that is
really a valid tarfile and if so report a bug to python and if not get in
contact with packagers of kdelibs. Since we had this problem only once with
all the hundreds (maybe thousands) different tarballs that were unTared by
emerge (and are untared by python in general) i am inclined to think that
something was wrong with that tarball.

Regards,
Andre

--