Req: Add .catalog support to Windows Installer

Bart Otten bart.otten85 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 15:47:55 UTC 2011

Hello folks,

The 'next kde.org' will have an button to install packages using
PackageKit. It uses .catalog-files for that, an example of such file can be
seen at (1). Today I did some research and not less then 25% of the
kde.orgvisitors are using Windows. It made me think: "Why would the
Install Button
not support Windows?" Before you say "No, that's impossible" let me please
explain of how I think it can be done.

At this moment the site works like this:
1.) detect browserplugin PackageKit. If found goto 2. If not goto 3.
2.) Display a button "Install Packagename" that downloads the .catalog-file
(which will be handled by PackageKit)
3.) Display some text about not having the plugin and how to get it.

What would 'we' need for WIndows to be supported?
a.) Windows Installer should include a browserplugin so we can know if it
is installed on the system (nothing fancy)
b.) Windows Installer should handle .catalog-files
c.) And probably warn about dependencies when there are a lot :P

Too me, it seems this ain't rocket science however, I am no
application-developer. This feature would certainly place KDE-Windows in
the spotlight and it would be very good promotion when I can send to the
press: "KDE.org now supports Windows" ;-)

Regards,
Bart Otten, Team KDE-www

(1) topdownmedia.nl/neverland/catalogi/amarok.catalog