life sign & RFC

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Fri Jun 3 01:03:40 CEST 2011

Hi everybody,

after some months of break, I am back online again working on KDE on
Windows though with a lot less time.

There are two things that are probably most interesting in the coming
months:
1) a KDE 4.6 binary release
2) the emerge git transition

The main question is of course in what order these should be done:
doing the release first, and switching to git later or switching to git
first and doing the release shortly after it.

I personally prefer to have the git transition first, and do the release
after that, since we can benefit from the things we can change with this
transition:

my plan looks like this:
- do a last emerge branch/tagging so that people can use that version if
they want
- do the transition
- move/remove stuff in emerge:
remove kde-4.X categories and only keep kde category

rationals:
we normally don't use the splitting between the kde-4.X release
categories and the kde category. this also doesn't work because e.g.
win32libs do change in between and we can't guarantee for binary
compatibility of our 3rdparty projects anyway (examples that occurred
until now are jpeg6/7/8, png 1.2vs.1.4 and of course Qt). So instead I
want to have one branch per release, e.g. one 4.6 branch which will be
split away from the master branch somewhen around the time the branches
are set up for KDE itself.
Since Tortoisegit is not half as good as Tortoisesvn I also want to
promote a different way to setup emerge: Beginning with a zip package
(which might include python & emerge (& git)) you can install emerge
somewhere, and start emerge with 'emerge --update emerge' which would
then update itself to the most recent version. Ralf did some work on
that already (until now only in the svn version, but I am sure we can
easily adapt that to git) so I don't think this becomes a big problem.

So what do you think?

regards,
Patrick who became father of a qt boy in february...