Windows without explorer

Eduard Sukharev kraplax at mail.ru
Sun Jul 17 19:13:14 CEST 2011

18.07.2011 2:04, Anmäldungen пишет:
> Hello
>
> I use now a long Time Kubuntu and i realy love it because of KDE
> I want to run Windows without Explorer, so i search how to and i have
> found a solution
> instead of Explorer i started GoogleLauncher on the login.
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\shell = Explorer
>
> The Problem was that googleLauncher is no Desktop it is only a Widdgetlayer
> Then i found kde-windows on the KDE Homepage
> Is it posible to launch Plasmadesktop on windows?
> There is only one complication, when the Explorer start,
> he open a lot of other programs (like grafic driver and so on) [msonfig]
>
> It would be nice to use KDE Desktop-Enviroment on Windows
>
> best Regards Kry

Short answer: YES.
Long answer: It IS possible to assign plasmadesktop.exe instead of
explorer.exe through the registry key. The point is that you'll have to
get the binary itself, you'll have to do edit the registry by hand and
you'll get quite unstable Plasma desktop. Not that Plasma desktop itself
is unstable right now, but it's rather raw _on_windows_ and still has
room for improvement. Also notice that you might encounter file
association problems, all of which are still yet to be solved.

--
Regards,
Eduard Sukharev