mingw-cross-env with Qt and D-Bus as build platform

Mark Brand mabrand at mabrand.nl
Fri Jan 7 10:41:32 CET 2011

On 01/07/2011 01:43 AM, Patrick von Reth wrote:
> MinGW-W64 http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/ (MinGW-W32) is
> now our default gcc compiler and it supports cross compiling :)
>
> From Linux to Windows and from Windows x32 to x64.

It would probably be better to see mingw-cross-env as a cross-building
*environment* rather than a compiler. You build the whole thing
including libraries from source with a simple "make" rather than
downloading and installing prebuilt binary packages. This is what makes
it very flexible and easy to use. It's known to work on linux, bsds and osx.

Mingw-cross-env is set up for static linking, but this can be modified
as needed.

At the moment mingw-cross-env uses MinGW packages, so it targets only
32-bit windows. There is an experimental fork for 64-bit, but I don't
have personal experience with it.

I haven't actually tried (yet) to build any KDE components with
mingw-cross-env. I don't mean to "convert" kde4win to a new build system
or compiler, but I just wanted to let people know that this exists and
invite them to try it out. It might at least be an attractive option for
some cases.

regards,

Mark