Kile for Windows

Michel Ludwig michel.ludwig at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 14:18:20 CET 2011

On Tue 04 Jan 2011 02:41:01 Patrick Spendrin wrote:
> Ok, I updated the aspell package to version 0.60.6-2, can you please
> check if that works for you as well? To install, run the installer but
> uncheck skip settings and use package manager mode. On the display page,
> search for aspell in the win32libs category and click once on the check
> mark so that the update icon appears.
> Works at least over here....

I've tried this now, and spell checking works fine for German, French, etc,
except for English. Also, there are no dictionary variants listed in
the dictionaries combo box, i.e. only the USA version of English is listed,
and not the others, like British, and so on.

The output of "aspell dumpt dicts" shows the following for Linux (for the
English dictionary):

en
en-variant_0
en-variant_1
en-variant_2
en-w_accents
en-wo_accents
en_CA
en_CA-w_accents
en_CA-wo_accents
en_GB
en_GB-ise
en_GB-ise-w_accents
en_GB-ise-wo_accents
en_GB-ize
en_GB-ize-w_accents
en_GB-ize-wo_accents
en_GB-w_accents
en_GB-wo_accents
en_US
en_US-w_accents
en_US-wo_accents

and for Windows:

ca
ca-w_accents
ca-wo_accents
gb
gb-ise
gb-ise-w_accents
gb-ise-wo_accents
gb-ize
gb-ize-w_accents
gb-ize-wo_accents
gb-w_accents
gb-wo_accents
us
us-w_accents
us-wo_accents

The same output for French

Linux:

fr-40
fr-60
fr
fr-80
fr-lrg
fr-med
fr-sml
fr_CH-40
fr_CH-60
fr_CH
fr_CH-80
fr_CH-lrg
fr_CH-med
fr_CH-sml
fr_FR-40
fr_FR-60
fr_FR
fr_FR-80
fr_FR-lrg
fr_FR-med
fr_FR-sml

Windows:

fr-40
fr
fr-60
fr-80
fr-lrg
fr-med
fr-sml
ch-40
ch
ch-60
ch
ch-80
ch-lrg
ch-med
ch-sml

So, I think that somehow the naming scheme of dictionaries seems wrong on
Windows (the main dictionary name gets stripped).

> Btw. I am not sure if kile relies on the okularpart to display pdf, dvi
> and postscript, but those three (including postscript) should be
> available now. Probably okular/kdegraphics is then missing as a
> dependency of kile.

On Windows Kile doesn't need Okular as the LaTeX distributions there ship
their own viewers for dvi/postscript, which are also used by Kile. However, it
might make sense to install it by default if Kile is selected (if that's
possible) so that users have access to a PDF viewer, for example, even if they
haven't installed Adobe Reader.

Miche