Rwindows.kde.org & Digikam

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Sep 10 17:51:58 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Friday 10 September 2010, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> 2010/9/10  <loerzi at gmx.net>:
> > 3) Is there any chance to provide your successfully compiled digikam as a
> > zip file? Or is it to big, because you have to copy the whole KDE folder
> > structure?
>
> No, it too huge and include a lots of depencies installed through KDE
> windows installer...

I don't know anything about digikam dependencies, but in case you haven't
actually tried this, yet: Don't write off this option too soon. I was quite
sceptical of this approach, myself, for RKWard. But then I gave it a try, and
a full installation of kdebase, R, and RKWard can all be packaged into a 130
MB self-extractor (*). True, that's not exactly small, but it's managable. And
in fact it's considerably less than all single downloads (including the
packages downloaded by the kde-windwos installer) combined.

Looking at our download numbers, this installation bundle is considerably more
popular than the rkward-only installer (which installs RKWard on top of an
existing installation of KDE and R), despite the fact that the latter offers
more flexibilty.

See also http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_on_Windows/Packaging .

Regards
Thomas

(*) Package using 7-zip. kdebase and its dependencies take up roughly 100MB of
this.