Principles on what KDE for Windows includes?

Percy Camilo Triveño Aucahuasi percy.camilo.ta at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 10:22:36 CEST 2010

Hi Ralf

>Do you think about something like the single package installer approach
>like available at http://www.winkde.org/pub/kde/ports/win32/setup/stable/

Yes, in some way, that is a cool approach, the ui is very plain and the user
only have to wait. It could be better: the ui can have a simple progress
control and a gif embedded (but is only my opinion ;)) ... but yep that is
the idea.

However, the fact of provide individual installers for every app/module
could be still confusing (even if is the same versión: stable, testing,
4.5,3, ...) Also, this kills the concept of the windows installer: have a
common place to install (update) KDE software on windows.

Perhaps the best way to join both approach would be let the user to chooses
the KDE-version installer (kde-stable.exe, kde-testing.exe ...) instead of
the module/app-version one.The ui of the installer will omit the idea of
choose the version (and even omit the idea of searching and replaced by
choosing) and will have a UI very similar to your packages plus some
searching (or choosing) system, this is a mockup to show the concept:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_DsEzMwoRlb4/TLLF_ibv6LI/AAAAAAAAAcI/0kEn49CkN5U/kdewininstaller.jpg

Regards,
Percy