No subject

Sun Oct 10 01:44:35 CEST 2010

,
it should be easy, but even betwen xp, vista and 7 exists some factors that
make it dificult (eg. permissions) Emerge is a great tool and aims to
achieve
to make more easy the life *for developers*, but I think is time to improve
the windows user experience too.

The windows installer paradigm is confusing users and even some get scary o=
using it, however the paradigm in self isn't bad, is just matters of enhanc=
communication of what is aviable in each release and what is not. Also, som=
improvements in the UI would be welcome: maybe change the wizard style to
something like a welcome dashboard or simply (as Jaroslaw suggested) improv=
searching ... and hidding the progress of installing =3D> why the users hav=
to see all the list of files during the instalation proccess? ;)

Cheers,
Percy

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Jaroslaw Staniek <staniek at kde.org> wrote:

> >> Is true, currently I didn't find the krita package in the last version
> >> of the installer (in fact there isn't any KOffice's package)
> > Nice to have someone to confirm that I am not totally messed up ;-)
> >
> > I think this is one thing the project should think about. In this case =
> > had the CTO of the school IT department of a city of 170 thousand
> > habitants to search for it. He is a Linux native so he also knows his
> > way around.
> >
> > In this case there was two bits of information that IMHO cannot be held
> > as self evident:
> > 1) Krita for historical reasons is a part of KOffice. This might be the
> > reason why Krita cannot be used successfully as a search term in the KD=
> > 4 Windows Installer.
>
> Perhaps extending search to 'lookup by application name' could solve the
> issue.
>
> --
> regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
>  http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek
>  Kexi & KOffice (http://kexi-project.org, http://identi.ca/kexi,
> http://koffice.org)
>  KDE Software Development Platform on MS Windows (http://windows.kde.org)

--00163683217446894f04924b376e

Hi Elias,<br><br>&gt;&gt;1) Krita for historical reasons is a part of KOffi=
ce. This might be<br>&gt;&gt;the reason why Krita cannot be used successful=
ly as a search<br>&gt;&gt;term in the KDE 4 Windows Installer.<br>&gt;&gt;2=
) The end user does not know which of the KDE packages are<br>
&gt;&gt;stable and which are not. As Andrius wrote that KOffice<br>&gt;&gt;=
packages are not stable so I searched the unstable releases.<br>&gt;&gt;(Bu=
t as Percy now confirmed - this is<br>&gt;&gt;not a good search strategy as=
 the wanted package is not there.)<br>
&gt;Perhaps extending search to &#39;lookup by application name&#39; could =
solve the issue.<br><br>Is true, also I think the main issue here isn&#39;t=
 the searching of the package name, but the availability of the packgages i=
n self (or, as Gilles Caulier said: the maintenability of huge packages)<br=

dows, it should be easy, but even betwen xp, vista and 7 exists some factor=
s that make it dificult (eg. permissions) Emerge is a great tool and aims t=
o achieve <br>
to make more easy the life *for developers*, but I think is time to improve=
 the windows user experience too.<br><br>The windows installer paradigm is =
confusing users and even some get scary of using it, however the paradigm i=
n self isn&#39;t bad, is just matters of enhance communication of what is a=
viable in each release and what is not. Also, some improvements in the UI w=
ould be welcome: maybe change the wizard style to something like a welcome =
dashboard or simply (as Jaroslaw suggested) improve searching ... and hiddi=
ng the progress of installing =3D&gt; why the users have to see all the lis=
t of files during the instalation proccess? ;)<br>
On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Jaroslaw Staniek <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a h=
ockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-l=
eft: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
to:elias.aarnio at innopark.fi">elias.aarnio at innopark.fi</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; 08.10.2010 22:54, Percy Camilo Trive=F1o Aucahuasi kirjoitti:<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;I have now installed the latest unstable and 4.2.95 but I cann=
ot see<br>
&gt;&gt; &gt;Krita included in either of these.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Is true, currently I didn&#39;t find the krita package in the last=
 version<br>
&gt;&gt; of the installer (in fact there isn&#39;t any KOffice&#39;s packag=
e)<br>
&gt; Nice to have someone to confirm that I am not totally messed up ;-)<br=

&gt;<br>
&gt; I think this is one thing the project should think about. In this case=
 I<br>
&gt; had the CTO of the school IT department of a city of 170 thousand<br>
&gt; habitants to search for it. He is a Linux native so he also knows his<=
br>
&gt; way around.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; In this case there was two bits of information that IMHO cannot be hel=
d<br>
&gt; as self evident:<br>
&gt; 1) Krita for historical reasons is a part of KOffice. This might be th=
e<br>
&gt; reason why Krita cannot be used successfully as a search term in the K=
DE<br>
&gt; 4 Windows Installer.<br>
d solve the issue.<br>
--<br>
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek<br>
=A0<a href=3D"http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek" target=3D"_blank">http:/=
/www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek</a><br>
=A0Kexi &amp; KOffice (<a href=3D"http://kexi-project.org" target=3D"_blank=
">http://kexi-project.org</a>, <a href=3D"http://identi.ca/kexi" target=3D"=