[Announcement] emerge bundle available

Stephen Brown stephengrantbrown at mcmedia.com.au
Mon Nov 15 04:16:10 CET 2010

Hi Ralf
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ralf Habacker" <ralf at habacker.de>
To: "KDE on Windows" <kde-windows at kde.org>
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2010 1:04 AM
Subject: [Announcement] emerge bundle available

> Hi,
>
> today morning a new way of installing emerge - the KDE on windows build
> tool - has been made available
> at http://www.winkde.org/pub/kde/ports/win32/emerge/.
>
> The daily updated installer contains an anonymous subversion checkout of
> the emerge source from kde svn trunk and a python 2.6 release.
> After downloading and unpacking only a minimal configuration is required
> to setup a complete build system. For configuration details see
> http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Windows/emerge#Configure_the_emerge_tool.
> Please note that the bundle is still in testing state, so please report
> problems to this mailing list or to the irc channel.
>
> This announcement is the third one of a run of announcements (see [1]
> [2]),  which are the result of several initiatives started in the last
> month to lift KDE on Windows on a higher level.
>
> [1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-windows&m=128389741926090&w=2 Update of
> windows.kde.org available
> [2] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-windows&m=128812965819938&w=2 Webchat
> support option available
>
> Regards
>  Ralf

I was halfway through working out how to use the old way of installing
emerge.
Now I see this new way and the only difference I see is that the new way is
a exe that extracts files somewhere onto my hard disk drive. I worked out
where they were extracted too, and run a few programs there but it just
dies.

Can this be turned into a program that actually downloads, installs and then
gives a few instructions as to how to compile a program?

Can the instructions at
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Windows/emerge#Configure_the_emerge_tool
be translated into a computer program that does not rely on any operator
input but just installs a version of emerge that just runs?

I have no idea how to do it myself

Yours Sincerely Stephen Grant Brown