Rant: So you want help?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Nov 7 13:55:42 CET 2010

On Sunday 07 November 2010, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> So you end up having to build all dependencies with GCC if you want one
> application to be built with GCC.

And vice versa.

> Maybe the things that are currently a problem for MSVC can be built with a
> different compiler but one that is following the platform standard?
> Intel's or Borland's maybe?

The problem will just shift, not go away. Consider your (external) dependency
is built with MinGW. So building your application with the "platform standard"
C++-ABI is the wrong thing to do, in this case.

I don't think the problem can be resolved, realistically.

Regards
Thomas

P.S.: But also, I think that supporting multiple compilers can hardly be
considered a "solution" to the problem, either. It just splits up the set of
breakages into two distinct sets: those that are broken with MSVC, and those
that are broken with MinGW (three sets, if you count those that are broken
with either compiler). Let the user choose: You want bug A or bug B?