Rant: So you want help?

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Fri Nov 5 16:15:40 CET 2010

Am 05.11.2010 16:01, schrieb Alf Gaida:
> Am Freitag 05 November 2010, 15:13:38 schrieb Cristian Oneţ:
>> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> From digiKam viewpoint, the next 2.0.0 release will require OpenCV
>>> library for face detection stuff.
>>>
>>> On my Win7, it compile fine with TDM-GCC and MSVC2008. It's a libary
>>> managed by Cmake. So it's easy to include as windows installer package

>>> From a developer viewpoint, to have at least Mingw4-32 + MSVC is very
>>> instructive. Some warnings/errors can be see with GCC, some others
>>> with M$ compiler. both are complementary.
>>>
>>> I never run digiKam & co using MSVC bin, for a simple reason : it
>>> crash at start up due a binary uncompatibility between KDE4 packages
>>> compiled with MSVC 2006 and digiKam compiled with MSVC2008
>>>
>>> I always use GCC. All compile and run fine.
>>>
>>> From an user viewpoint it's a very confuse situation. Why 2 compiler
>>> packages version exist... Only one is enough.
>>
>> +1
>> So the compiler choice could be hidden from the normal user but it
>> should stay the way it is now from a developer's POV. Having different
>> compilers go trough the code is really good thing.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Cristian Onet
> IMHO the goal has to be one compiler. I know that the linux world is not ideal
> but there is one compiler. Why split in ming and several flavours of MSVC like
> Gilles wrote. More compilers == more possible errors. And i'm talking not
> about a x86_64 release. Its only 32bit. That sounds a little bit nuts to me.
> When i look at the compiling list i see different errors per compiler. This
> means to me, that they hav to be fixed by different people in different places.
> In an ideal world the project has enough ressources to handle this without
> problem. This world we live in isn't ideal. Let's focus on one compiler and
> build an automation structure. Maybe when the automation work and the
> processes are proven a second ore third compler make sense.

Well, also on Linux there are different compiler releases, which have
different problems, different bugs etc.

The second thing is that with different compilers you will see different
bugs as well (Just had such a warning yesterday, which wasn't available
in gcc). Also each compiler has advantages over the other one (which can
be quite important).

Also we invested quite some time into this, which would be totally
useless if we chose to stay with one compiler.

The compiler discussion is old already, and it won't be solved any time
soon. So let's try to focus on the other problems first.

regards,
Patrick