Rant: So you want help?

Francis Corvin francis_ at gmx.net
Fri Nov 5 15:37:19 CET 2010

At 2010-11-05 09:02, Alf Gaida wrote:
>  i understand the rant as an ask for help in the project.

I understand it as a request to share information:
- what are the long-term plans for Windows KDE
- what are the steps involved in preparing a release
to which I would add:
- how does the release mechanism work?
- what are the steps and critical files involved in building an
application from source?
- if I have to change something to get an application to compile, who
do I notify? Who checks that the changes do not have negative
unintended side-effects on the application?

I have a more developed response to this thread, but I think it's
better if I let it lie for a few days. In a way I am the perfect
example of the newbie looking at a learning curve that makes Mt
Everest look like a walk in the park. I don't think I know what I am
talking about, precisely because I'm so new into it, but my
experience might be interesting to people who are trying to attract
new blood to the Windows KDE project. And I relate to *everything*
that was posted in the original rant. I just find it doesn't go far
enough, not in the tone, but in its conclusions.

Francis