Rant: So you want help?

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Nov 4 12:57:40 CET 2010

Caution: Rant.

Dear KDE on Windows people: So you want help with KDE on Windows?

Well, you're not gonna get any. At least not like this [1]. "Why not", I hear
you ask, "didn't I start working on the project for less of an invitation?".
Well, yes, for all I know, each of you did. But the project was in a very
different phase, then. You were making KDE on Windows work at all. And you have
all right to be proud of that. You have fixed the most pressing problems.
Excellent. And you have probably fixed a gazillion of the non-critical-but-
easy-to-fix problems along the way. Of course. And thank you!

But alas, software development pays with ingratitude. First, anybody who would
be to jump head-first into the project will face a steep learning curve, and
with the low-hanging fruits already picked, they will not be in for any large
rewarding achievements anytime soon. So this just *is not going to happen*.
Nobody will enter the project the way you did. Ever. Unless perhaps if they
get paid for it. You're best hope is to trick somebody into getting involved
with some easy stuff, and then becoming addicted. But - sorry to say it this
clearly - you couldn't do much worse in this deparment.

But second, lets consider the second major downside to successful software
development: People start using your software. And they take issue with this
or that. And they want this feature added. And they want that feature removed.
And they want more. All the time. Yes, this can be quite distracting, and
trying not to communicate too much can be a good strategy to scare people
away. But did you say you want help?

Well, again, you are totally unlikely to find anybody to jump into the project
the way you did. But you do have considerable ressources at your hands: A good
number of people on this list are developers, themselves (and I'll pretend I
can speak for those as "we"). True, we have our own pet projects, already, and
we won't jump ship. But we *do* have an active interest in the KDE on Windows
platform, 'cause we need it for our applications. And we *are* willing to put
in _some_ ressources to help. And we *are* developer folks, so we are
certainly qualified enough to be of use here or there.

*But we need some help with that*.

So, finally, tell us, the major directions were the project is heading. We did
not attend your sprints, and probably we won't in the future. We won't know
what to do, if you don't tell us some about your plans.

And, finally, tell us, just *how* to create a release. It's been asked more
than once. Even combined with very explicit offers for help (e.g. [2] - has
anybody ever answered that?!). Maybe it's glaringly obvious to you. But then
it shouldn't be much of a problem to write it down. Or maybe it's pretty
complex. But then you can't expect us to abandon our primary projects to try
to figure out those secret steps. *Please* give at least a rudimentary overview
of the steps involved. That will probably increase the chances of anybody
actually giving it a try by a factor between 10 and 100.

And, if somebody shows an interest in the project, please communicate. E.g.
did anybody ever answer this review request [3]? So it's incomplete, but at
least to me (who doesn't understand a thing about kioslaves, unfortunately) it
looks pretty useful, if it can be made to work. So is this a good idea,
indeed? Then why didn't you try to help that guy along? It's not like you are
drowning in review requests by users willing to help, are you? Or is this idea
a dead-end in the first place? Then why didn't you tell that guy? Or to use one
of my own mails [4] as an example: Well, at least I did get one reply (thanks
Bernhard). But in case you agree with any particular of these ideas, then why
don't you say so. A bit of specific positive feedback might even lead a
commenter to work on implementing some of their suggestions (hint, hiint). Or
if all of these ideas are counter to your grand plan (whatever it may be - see
above), then even a short hint about that would be less frustrating then plain
silence. And even if you don't have the time to look at things in detail,
three weeks should still be ample time to write "I don't have the time to look
at this right now, please try again, later" and hit the send button.

So, in short, if you are honestly interested in some help, then please
dedicate at least *some* time to documenting and communicating. I know these
two are typically not the most fun exercises in programming. But if you want
to get any help at all, then it's an absolutely mandatory exercise. In fact,
it even seems the core group of KDE on Windows people could benefit from a bit
more communication on the list ([5] - how can such a thing *not* be
communicated among the core contributors for weeks)?

End of rant.

I'd like to stress that I really mean the praise and "thank you" in the second
paragraph. Truely, and without any bit of sarcasm or dishonesty. Thank you for
everything you have done and are doing for KDE on Windows. But I also mean the
what I've written in the remainder of this mail.

Regards
Thomas

[1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-windows&m=128812436613301&w=2
[2] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-windows&m=127142838408193&w=2