Writing KDE App

velociraptor Genjix aphidia at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 1 14:38:17 CET 2010

ok thanks :) That answered all my questions.

Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 13:30:06 +0100
From: thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
To: kde-windows at kde.org
Subject: Re: Writing KDE App

Hi,

On Sunday 31 October 2010, velociraptor Genjix wrote:
> I'm writing an app ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tAASvcrJ78 ) and would
> really like to use KDE instead of vanilla Qt. I don't want to use much
> beyond the theming and a few widgets. Someone mentioned this project, but
> if I distribute my app for windows then will I also need to bundle the
> whole KDE desktop? Seems excessive... Is building apps for Windows mature
> yet? Can you point me to a few KDE apps built on Windows so I can test
> them out (performance, stability .etc). Thanks ;)

I maintain RKWard outside the KDE source repository, and in fact, finding a
workable solution to packaging for Windows was quite a headache. I've written
up what I have learnt at
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_on_Windows/Packaging . Bundling a full
KDE installation (not the entire KDE SC, though) does look excessive, indeed.
However, it's less crazy than you may think, and it's probably the best
packaging solution for third-party KDE based applications, at the moment.

Building apps on Windows has a couple issues, esp. if you want to build
against a specific KDE release, instead of using emerge. You may be interested
in reading
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=RKWard_on_Windows/Packaging
for some hints (much of this is specific to RKWard, though).

Regarding stability of the KDE on Windows platform, I'm quite satisfied for
RKWard. There *are* some platform specific bugs, and I'm particularly annoyed
by some in the file dialog, but in general it's possible to work around those,
easily. You should also expect to run into a few cross-platform gotchas here
and there. Esp. be sure to understand the difference between KURL::path(), and
KURL::toLocalFile().

See
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/rkward/index.php?title=RKWard_on_Windows
for RKWard on Windows packages.