KDE apps for several users on the same machine

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue May 11 16:46:37 CEST 2010

Hi,

an rkward user (in CC) just pointed out that on Windows Server 2003, if
user1 has started a KDE application, user2 cannot start a KDE
application, and vice versa. More specifically, it appears that
kdeinit4.exe runs for both users, and tries to start a dbus-daemon for
both users. For the second user this will hang. I can reproduce the same
issue on Windows XP SP2.

I have toyed with some options, but to no avail:
- "kdeinit4.exe --no-dbus" does (attempt to) start dbus-daemon as well
- Changing the listen-port in etc/session.conf seemed to have no effect,
although I'd suspect that the port-conflict is the proximal cause of the
hang

Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround? Should I open a bug-report?

Regards
Thomas