Getting KCrash & DrKonqi on windows

George Kiagiadakis kiagiadakis.george at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 00:00:13 CET 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:00 PM, Patrick Spendrin <ps_ml at gmx.de> wrote:
> I'd love to see the problems myself, so maybe you can tell us where your
> code resides, so that more people can take a look at it.

Here I have put my simple crashtest (reduced version of the one
shipped with the drkonqi sources) and the small stackwalker-based
debugger I made:

http://gkiagia.homelinux.net/share/win32-crash-tests.zip

The crashtest should compile both on msvc and mingw.
When you run it, you'll see something like that:

$ ./crashtest.exe
Starting XXXX
Crashed

XXXX is the pid. It will sleep for some time in the crash handler and
then exit. In the meanwhile, attach a debugger on it and try to get a
backtrace.
For mingw:  gdb --pid XXXX
For msvc: (Use the windbg gui)

You'll notice that both debuggers fail to produce something usable.
When you build crastest with msvc, also try StackWalker on it.
StackWalker builds only with msvc and is run like that:

$ ./StackWalker.exe  XXXX
(where XXXX is the pid again)

You'll notice that it produces a valid backtrace.

I'll try to get the KDE patches into shape as well tomorrow and I'll notify you.

Regards,
George