Emerge: Dependeny optimisation

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Thu Jul 22 10:56:53 CEST 2010

redirected from Emerge: Plotting build dependencies graph, emerge -k/-j

>> I found immediatly two dependency issues which should be solved.
>>1. win32libs-bin/libxml depends on iconv, while other packages requiring
>> iconv depends on win_iconv
>> 2. wget is listed as dependency for many packages. For my opinion wget
>>should only be the first dependency of virtual/base and nowhere else.

>Sascha L. Teichmann schrieb:
>Agreed. Maybe a step further would be the assumption that virtual/base
>is an implicit dependency for all package, so we don't have to model
>it for each and every package?!

For source packages this may help, but as Andre said for binary packages
this would create much overhead, at least an additional virtual/base-bin
package would be required.
The drawback would be as you said that this have to be added to every
package like wget now, so implicit adding would be good.

The question now is how to detect that the recent package is a bin or a
src package.

Regards