Emerge and User Account Control

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Fri Jul 2 15:20:16 CEST 2010

Hi,
I recently used Emerge at Home on my Windows 7 System with User Account
Control enabled. With every patch call i got a user account control checkbox.
When i researched the problem i landed on this blog post:
http://butnottoohard.blogspot.com/2010/01/windows-7-chronicles-gnu-patch-mtexe.html

That describes how UAC checks for Keywords in applications and then "guesses"
that this application is going to need higher privileges. Also described at:

Since that behavior also appears with some KDE Windows programs (kconf_update,
update_mime_types, and so on) and is really disturbing on new Windows Systems
i think it is an issue for us.

To fix that i would propose that we add a "post install" step for the affected
applications which would embed a manifest, as described in the links.
The big problem i see with that is that for the "intended" way you need the
manifest tool or a similar application to do that, and i do not want to get
Visual Studio / MS Windows SDK's.

So does someone know a Free Software alternative to embed manifests files or
has a better solution how to fix the UAC issues?
(A Python script to embed manifest files in a way that Windows can read them
would be cool ;) )

Greetings
Andre

--