Compiling digiKam

Peter Shute pshute at nuw.org.au
Fri Jan 22 12:04:57 CET 2010

Ok, it's compiled and running!  Thanks for your help.

I expect the problems one has compiling with emerge might vary depending on what's in the repositories, but for the record, here's a complete summary of the steps I ended up taking, I hope it helps someone.  It all took several days, and hours (15-20?) of downloading and compiling.  I'd guess it downloaded 2 or 3GB of files, and ended up taking up 8GB of space.  That's compared to 1GB for the version installed via the KDE 4.3.3 windows Installer.  There really should be a better way to get the latest version!

I suspect if I was to do this again to get the next version, it might go more smoothly because some of the missing components are now in place.  I was starting completely from scratch.

(See http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Windows/emerge)

Create c:\kderoot

Download Python 2.6 Interpreter from http://www.python.org (I got the 2.6.4 windows installer binary)

Install Python 2.6 Interpreter to c:\program files\python26

Install SVN client from http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=91  (I got Setup-Subversion-1.5.6.msi, the windows MSI installer)

Install it to C:\Program Files\Subversion

Start a Windows cmd.exe session

cd \kderoot

svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/kdesupport/emerge

Create c:\kderoot\etc

Copy c:\kderoot\emerge\kdesettings-example.bat as c:\kderoot\etc\kdesettings.bat

Edit c:\kderoot\etc\kdesettings.bat to remark out lines 41 and 42:
rem ps set MSDXSDKDIR=%PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2009)
rem ps call ""%MSDXSDKDIR%\Utilities\bin\dx_setenv.cmd"" x86

cd \kderoot\emerge

set path=

kdeenv.bat

emerge mingw4

emerge digikam (failed - the rest of the steps are things I was advised to do to fix it)

emerge --noclean qt

Copy the entire contents of c:\kderoot\build\libs\qt-4.6.0.20100109\work\mingw4-RelWithDebInfo-4.6\mkspecs\* to c:\kderoot\mkspecs

cd \deroot\build\libs\qt-4.6.0.20100109\work\mingw4-RelWithDebInfo-4.6\tools\designer\src\components\lib

mingw32-make -f Makefile

emerge --update kdelibs

emerge digikam (this created digikam.exe, but it wouldn't run because of some missing dlls)

copy C:\kderoot\mingw\bin\libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll to c:\kderoot\bin

copy C:\kderoot\mingw\bin\libgomp-1.dll  to c:\kderoot\bin