discussion of release announcement

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Tue Dec 14 14:56:41 CET 2010

Hi everybody,

as mentioned in this forum post:
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=91849&p=182270#p182269 we also
have some not-so technical things we need to do for a release, which I
would like to delegate.

The following facts should be in the announcement.
- the gcc version 4 compiler from mingw.org (mingw4) will be replaced by
mingw-w32 (the gcc version 4 compiler from
http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/) in the next release, so this is
probably the last release with it. Similar is the process for vc90
(Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition) to vc100 (Visual Studio 2010
Express Edition). In the current release, all 4 compilers are contained.

- we tried out a distributed release process, where multiple persons can
take part and fix the builds. This looks promising, and since KDE 4.6.0
is near (released in the beginning of next year) we will probably go
that way too.

- contained in KDE 4.5.4 are kdebase (apps and workspace), kdeedu,
kdegames, kdegraphics, kdemultimedia, kdenetwork, kdesdk, kdetoys,
kdeutils, amarok, digikam & kipi-plugins, kmymoney, konversation and
quassel.

- the stability is still not at a level where day-to-day use can be
recommended, some programs might just work though.

The release announcements are normally written inside of the file
news.rdf. This file is in KDE svn, you can checkout
svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/www/sites/windows to get the
complete sources (and also to produce a valid diff at the end which I
can commit).

awaiting your comments,
Patrick