a common release effort

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Fri Dec 10 22:44:18 CET 2010

Am 10.12.2010 18:02, schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> Hi,
>
> thanks! It's great know that a release is coming up, and it's great to see
> that there is a plan for sharing the work on multiple shoulders.
>
> Unfortunately, at the moment, I'm too busy with other priorities to step
> forward and help. However I do hope to participate in a later release (or in
> case this one takes longer than expected). A few questions:
>
> On Thursday 09 December 2010, Patrick Spendrin wrote:
>> Currently I have added the following compilers:
>> mingw4, mingw-w32, msvc2008 and msvc2010.
>
> As far as I understand, mingw-w32 is MinGW 4.x 32bit. So what exactly is
> mingw4? Is this 64bit?

No, mingw-w32 is the 32bit variant of mingw-w64 (basically those two are
our upcoming compilers for KDE, since they are more or less stable,
maintained! and not outdated and we do know the guys who work on it).
mingw4 is the 32 bit compiler from mingw.org, which is not that outdated
yet, but badly maintained, and misses quite a lot of headers included in
the mingw-wXX variants (they have the same source base though). mingw4
and mingw-w32 cannot be mixed though, which means that we need to start
again.
If you setup a new emerge build and you do not call emerge mingw4 by
hand, emerge will install mingw-w32 if you have mingw4 set as compiler
(making it the default now).
The package notation is x86-mingw4 for mingw-w32 instead of only mingw4
for mingw4.

>> - Those interested in it, would set up a build environment with their
>> preferred compiler dedicated to the release (I can give the settings of
>> the build server as hints as well).
>
> I guess that might be helpful. The first question I have is exactly which
> versions of packages should be built (ok, you can look at the dashboard to see
> which versions get built, there, but having it explicitely, would be nice).
>
> Is there a simple way to tell emerge to work on the 4.5.4 target, globally, or
> do you need to specifiy
>   --target=4.5.4
> for each package, individually?

You can find the versions in the file
emerge\server\serverconfig\packagelist-release.txt
You will see a line containing:
category,package,[target],[patchlevel]

target becomes default target if empty and patchlevel is not used if not
set (It is not important for the KDE releases, it is more important for
the win32libs releases).
You can set EMERGE_TARGET in the environment, and it will become the
default target, keep in mind that there might be unwanted side effects
though (shouldn't be afaik).

>> - The Server would run and fail on a certain package, you can see that
>> on the release dashboard
>> (http://www.winkde.org/pub/kde/ports/win32/dashboard/release/).
>
> The links to the logs only work for mingw-w32, for me. 404 on all others.

Yeah, there  was a problem for the other runs, I have fixed that now
(but we'll need to wait until the logs are reuploaded).

>> - Somebody would step up and fix this error locally:
>> * You can create a patch with
>>
>>> emerge --createpatch --target=4.5.4 kde-4.5/kdetoys
>>
>> * The patch can be found under
>> %KDEROOT%\build\kde-4.5\PACKAGENAME-PACKAGEVERSION.
>> * You would add this patch to the emerge package under
>> emerge\portage\kde-4.5\kdetoys and also change the .py file by adding a
>> line like:
>> self.patchToApply['4.5.4'] = [('kdetoys-4.5.4-20101209.diff', 1)]
>> into the subinfo section.
>
> What does the ', 1' stand for? What's the syntax for adding multiple patches?

1 is the parameter you give over to patch, e.g. patch -p 1 <
kdetoys-4.5.4-20101209.diff.
multiple patches can be added like this:
self.patchToApply['4.5.4'] = [('kdetoys-4.5.4-20101209.diff', 1),
('kdetoys2-4.5.4-20101210.diff', 1)]

>> - After the patch has been applied, the buildserver would svn up his
>> emerge directories, retry the build with the now fixed package, succeed
>> and package & upload this package.
>
> Last I heard, kdelibs, and kdebase will probably move to git before christmas.
> Are there plans for moving kdesupport / emerge?

I talked to Ralf about it, personally I don't really like the idea yet,
(for various reasons.). For now we can stay in svn.

>> If you have any comments about that, just send them.
>
> Again, thanks for all your work! I hope I'll have some time to help, next
> time.

If it works more or less for this release, we might be able to redo that
in january for 4.6.0.

> Regards
> Thomas

regards,