D-Bus session bus

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Aug 27 18:28:34 CEST 2010

On Friday, 2010-08-27, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Kevin Krammer schrieb:

> Two questions:
>
> 1. Does akonadi and all other package installed outside the main kde
> installation path follow the KDE version ?

Hmm, good point. Akonadi isn't a KDE application at all.
Maybe the emerge category then?

> dbus-daemon reads it session bus address from session.conf file and dbus
> client library reads it from compile time settings or environment. How
> to set this on install time (daemon) or runtime (client) ?
>
> The scope parameter could be set to any other value to select a
> dedicated session bus, for example autolaunch:scope=kde-4.4

Hmm.
What about using some vendor string?
I.e. when something is from KDE on Windows, it will want to use the
infrastructure installed and running by any other application from that
source.

A single application installed migth want everything self contained, i.e. not
integrating or interoperating with the "KDE" setup.

Third party applications like Amarok could have two installers (or an
installer with options): one that makes the application a stand-alone entity
and one that makes it part of the KDE on Windows setup.

> > But now the application doesn't start D-Bus anymore.
>
> if you run dbus-daemon --session by hand or with a debugger you will see
> that it crashes. I fixed the crash in emerge dbus-src portage script -
> you should update your emerge portage tree.

Ah, didn't notice that. I didn't see anything in debugviewer so I just assumed
it didn't get started at all.
Works fine now with your latest commit :)

> Just one note: The remaining session bus address has to be
> 'autolaunch:'  not 'autolaunch'

Right, thanks.

Cheers,
Kevin