cmakifying packages (was: packaging Free Software on Windows: Re: Microsoft CoApp)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Apr 14 10:51:40 CEST 2010

Am Dienstag, 13. April 2010 11:38:09 schrieb Ralf Habacker:
> Patrick Spendrin schrieb:
> <snip>
>
> >> There will be some overlap with KDE windows, and a real package manager
> >> supported by MS, would be great for all of us.   If it could leverage as
> >> much CMake as possible that would be even better.   What is the current
> >> list of "cmakeified" third party stuff that is done for KDE windows?
> >
> > - - chm
> > - - cyrus-sasl
> > - - djvu
> > - - ebook-tools (libepub)
> > - - exiv
> > - - expat*
> > - - fontconfig
> > - - freetype
> > - - giflib*
> > - - jpeg7*
> > - - jasper
> > - - libbzip2*
> > - - libidn
> > - - liblzma
> > - - libxml2*
> > - - libxslt*
> > - - openslp
> > - - redland
> > - - shared-mime-info
> > - - sqlite*
> > - - win_iconv*
> > - - zlib*
> >
> > Not all of them are up to date, some more might be added in the near
> > future (* means recent additions).
>
> Do you know how many packages are using a non cmake build system and
> which ? This is important to estimate how much work is still required to
> migrate the remaining.

Note that some initatives will be unhappy if you "fork" their product
by adding another build system to it. I know this is the case for many
components of the GnuPG crypto family, e.g. gpgme, gnupg and dirmngr.
I guess there will be others as well. My recommendation is to coordinate
cmakification first with upstream.

From the KDEPIM side we need GnuPG to provide email cryptography
with S/MIME and OpenPGP I believe it is am important part of KDEPIM's
funcationality.

From the technical side, I believe only gpgme needs to be build from the
KDEPIM side, as the www.gpg4win.org initiative currently produces a cross
compiled installer. For the overall picture of course CoApp should be able to
package Gpg4win as well.

Best,
Bernhard

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.