packaging Free Software on Windows: Re: Microsoft CoApp

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Apr 13 20:15:32 CEST 2010

Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> Hello,
>
> According to Garrett (the MS guy) on IRC, CoApp is going to use an
> approach similar to ExternalProject_Add from CMake. He is going to use
> some tools he already has ( http://gstoolkit.codeplex.com ) because he
> says CMake is limited in that regard.

His approach is actually a bit different.   He has a program that
watches a build happen with nmake, and captures all of the steps.  It
then generates XML that describes the build.  This xml is then
translated by another program into .vcxproj files and built with
MSBuild.   I talked to Garrett about modifying the converter to create
CMake files instead.  I argued that this would be much more likely to be
adopted upstream by the projects.  And if adopted upstream, would avoid
the need for a shallow fork of the project by CoApp.   He agreed that
that would be a good final goal.
> Actually, Garrett told me you were at Microsoft campus that very day
> and you two were goint to talk. How did it go?

It went well.  I only talked with Garrett for an hour or so as we had
other things going on a MS.   However, I felt the timing was pretty
incredible, and was glad I was there.   I have posted the list of
packages Patrick gave me to the CoApp list.   I think in the short term
I would like to see CMake supported by CoApp if the project already has
CMake files.   In the long term I would like to have the generator
create CMake files.  That would be a cool tool to have anyway...

-Bill