KDE on asian windows versions? Could not determine kde installation prefix

Christian Ehrlicher Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Fri Sep 18 20:59:00 CEST 2009

Bernhard Reiter schrieb:
> Carlo, Christian, Casper,
>
> thanks for responding, that was helpful!
>
> Am Freitag, 18. September 2009 11:45:50 schrieb Carlo:
>> there is a known error when using non latin character in the username,
>> kde can't access the .kde folder, maybe the "Program Files" folder is
>> written in chinese too?
>
> Am Freitag, 18. September 2009 13:11:24 schrieb Casper van Donderen:
>> Known problem,
>>
>> KDE does not work on Windows versions which are non-ASCII. Bugs are open
>> about Japanese and Russian, I assume Arabic also does not work.
>
> Yes I was assuming problems in this area,
> but I failed to search the kde tracker before asking. :/
> My next step is to look into those issues.
> I take it we do not have people from those areas as part of our community?

One big reason why it doesn't work is because Qt's QTemporaryFile isn't
unicode-safe on windows. See qtemporaryfile.cpp:352

    char *filename = qstrdup(qfilename.toLocal8Bit());

This doesn't work when the locale doesn't contain the used characters.
And since we're storing all KTemporaryFile's in the user home dir this
is a very big problem...

Who wants to write a bug report to tt?

Christian