Gpg4win2 comes with KDE4 components

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Sep 18 14:43:05 CEST 2009

More than 1000 downloads per day
is how often the new Gpg4win2 installer is currently downloaded.

One component is KDE4's Kleopatra and thus the new Gpg4win2
comes with a good subset of KDE on windows libraries. In other words:
A widely visible, popular, stable release of (a small part of) KDE on windows!

Something to be proud of as KDE and especially as KDE on windows community!
The people that have been working on this (contracted) project for Intevation,
KDAB and g10 code are part of this community and we like to say
a big THANK YOU to all others that have enabled us to improve
this great Free Software.

http://gpg4win.org/

From the technical side:
The Kleopatra version and the used libraries are based on the enterprise4
branches that KDAB and Intevation are also using for the Kontact on Windows
releases. We really had to control quality at a point in time where KDE4 was
moving too fast to give us the stability to build something else on top of it
and deliver. In the process of Gpg4win2 and Kontact development, we did
improve KDE4 on all platforms significantly - so I believe we did the right
thing for best of KDE. Of course Gpg4win2 is not a perfect product, neither
is Kleopatra. It is a start of an OpenPGP and S/MIME unified certificate
handling application with the new gpgme ui-server concept.
For everyone that is interested in more end-to-end cryptography
it is important that windows users can take part in the communications
and Gpg4win2 helps this cause.

Best Regards,
Bernhard