A server for nightly builds.

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Sep 10 21:38:32 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Monday 31 August 2009, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 26. August 2009 16:16:01 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> > If the effort  of Maurice Kalinowski <haiku at kaldience.com> works out
> > that is fine with me as well.  I guess one server would be good number to
> > start with.
>
> I am in waiting state here. Waiting for:
> a) Another person - besides Casper - to jump up and say: Yes, I will
> maintain that machine.
> b) An answer to the question if Maurice's machine will make it to be here
> soon and if another server is needed in addition to it?
> c) If VirtualBox would be okay to run windows. So I could rent a GNU box.
> d) What windows licenses we would need? Would one be enough to start with?
> If so, which one?  Vista32bit?

I just saw this thread now.
I think this is a great plan.
I'm willing to support the one (Casper ?) who will set up and maintain the
Nightly (and maybe Continuous) builds from the CMake side.
We already do have dashboards for kdelibs and kdesupport at
http://my.cdash.org/index.php?project=kdelibs , it's just that more or less
nobody is running and submitting builds.

For Linux it's not that necessary, since we have that many developers there,
for minority platforms like Windows ;-) it would be a very good thing.
Doing that in a virtual machine would also allow us to run e.g. also a FreeBSD
in a VM and also have Nightly FreeBSD builds (CCing Adriaan, and I think
Frederik was also interested).

Alex