kmail fetches messages from pop3 server repeatedly

Andreas Mahel andreas.mahel at gmx.net
Mon Oct 12 18:49:37 CEST 2009

Hello,

trying to use KMail, I've encountered a problem which might force me to
postpone switching to KMail as my primary email client on Windows.

For various reasons (mainly because I need to have access to my email from
several computers), I configure my POP accounts to leave fetched
messages on
the server. This works very well for all my accounts with KMail on Linux
(and
with various other mail clients on Windows).

However, KMail on Windows seems not to remember the messages it already
downloaded, and happily fetches them all again on the next Check Mail
action.

Some technical info about my environment:
Windows XP Professional SP2
KDE 4.3.2, MinGW4

Is there anything I could do to assist in fixing this?

Ah, yes, and sadly KMail also wouldn't send this mail.... so I'll have
to fall back to Thunderbird again.
For the interested: the send mail error message is: "An error occurred
during authentication: SASL(-4): no mechanism available: Unable to find
a callback: 2"

Best regards,
Andreas