FW: Okular cannot display PDF files

Patrick Spendrin ps_ml at gmx.de
Thu Nov 26 15:45:01 CET 2009

Lillig Joachim schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I installed KDE for Windows 4.3.3 on Windows XP SP 3
> Everything but the games and torrent and irc clients.
>
> Okluar can't display PDF files; the error message is:
> Could not open file <file name>.
> (Okular can open images - PNG, JPEG, ...)
>
> First I had the Visual C version, then MINGW4, then Visual C again.
> After the scond Visual C installation (every installation into a fresh
> directory) I could open a PDF file once.
You could open a PDF file once but not again?

> What can I do? How can I get better error messages?
Please check the following:
in your download directory you must have the following packages:
- - openjpeg-1.3-1-bin.tar.bz2
- - poppler-vc90-0.12.0-1-bin.tar.bz2
and in your KDE installations bin directory you should have
- - libopenjpeg.dll

To check if it should work or not, you can download the depends.exe from
here: http://www.dependencywalker.com/, install it, then
open a cmd.exe window, navigate to your KDE's installation directory (In
this example C:\Program Files\KDE).
let the PATH variable contain the bin directory:
set PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files\KDE\bin
now run depends:
depends.exe C:\Program Files\KDE\lib\kde4\okularGenerator_poppler.dll
A Window will appear and in case something is wrong, it will tell you
that e.g. OpenJPEG.dll is missing (this means your poppler library is to
old) or that libopenjpeg.dll is missing (in case you also do not have
libopenjpeg.dll above, please get the new openjpeg package)

I think I fixed everything in the last days, so it should work, but
please try it again.

Here the direct links to the two packages, in case you need them:
http://winkde.org/pub/kde/ports/win32/releases/stable/latest/openjpeg-1.3-1-bin.tar.bz2
http://winkde.org/pub/kde/ports/win32/releases/stable/latest/poppler-vc90-0.12.0-1-bin.tar.bz2
Just unpack them into your installations directory...

regards,
Patrick