Amarok

Diego panda84 at inwind.it
Wed Nov 11 15:26:20 CET 2009

Chris Browet:
> An OGG filter is distributed, so
> can ffdshow, I guess.

I think so. Phonon has been designed to have multiple backends so that
anyone can use the one that works better for him. So the developers can do.
Moreover DS9 is the default one for Qt on Windows, so I think totally
removing isn't good.

> My point is that it is preferable to use the OS services rather adding
> layers of 3rd Party, especially as DS9 already exists.

I personally prefer choice. For example VLC has its own advantages: at
the moment works better than DS9 for me, needs less CPU, has a good
community, doesn't need for additional codecs and so on.

Patrick Spendrin:
> who codes decides

That makes sense. I can see nothing wrong if someone makes Phonon-DS9
working on his own, that doesn't mean that Phonon-VLC or
Phonon-something can't work too.

Regards,
Diego