Amarok

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Tue Nov 10 16:08:25 CET 2009

> Why do you think that vlc doesn't seem the way to go? Because of a
> debugging console that could be disabled easily in the phonon-vlc
> sources [1]?

It is my humble opinion, of course. I guess others agree or DS9 wouldn't
exist...

> The problem about the ds9 backend is not getting it to work on my
> computer or on your computer: it is getting it to work on every
> computer. This is not possible by design since computers always differ
> in the installation of their filters etc. Since we have no way of

Fact is, the windows users are used to this. There are zillions "codec
packs" (although I'm against them) available allowing to render any files.
The ffdshow filter by itself can render 90% of the audio files available and
can customize rendering every possible way. An OGG filter is distributed, so
can ffdshow, I guess.

My point is that it is preferable to use the OS services rather adding
layers of 3rd Party, especially as DS9 already exists.

- Chris -