[kde-promo] KDE inside graphics? (Re: Linux Journal article on KDE on Windows)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Nov 4 17:25:49 CET 2009

Am Mittwoch, 4. November 2009 14:57:43 schrieb Stuart Jarvis:
> > It has one problem, KDE is a very fuzzy concept right now. So just "KDE
> >  inside" won't work well. (Also might sound too much of a rip-off from
> >  Intel.)
>
> Sebas you beat me to it :-) I agree "KDE inside" is probably not quite
> right for reasons you say.

I thought about it a bit and I do not think that "X inside" can be protected
as word trademark and it is something that expresses the idea quite clearly.
But of course I am open for everything reasonable here. Just a KDE related
graphics could be a start or anything along the lines "KDE
buildingblock", "KDE piece" "Build with KDE".

> > The idea of making the connection to KDE visible is good though. For
> >  sub-brands, the marketing team has gone into the direction of calling
> >  things "A KDE Project"

I strongly suggest to not use "project" to describe a long term Free Software
initiative because it clashes with the stricter meaning of project in the
business realm, that is having resources, goals and an end.
I can explain this in more detail, if you like.

> >  (this is more in line with recent re-branding
> >  efforts that separate  KDE applications, workspace, platform and the
> >  community as different sub-brands. This process is ongoing, though, but
> >  surely good to keep in mind when thinking of promoting (parts of) KDE.

> We're aiming to discuss these general branding issues at the promo sprint
> next week. Perhaps we can include thinking about a "KDE inside" idea too.
> Are there other applications that might benefit from something similar?
> Some kind of graphics might also be useful for websites for applications
> that are built on KDE libraries but not part of KDE 4 or extragear and not
> hosted on *.kde.org

Doing a stand-a-lone slick-ass stand-a-lone installer for Okular on windows
and link it from http://pdfreaders.org/ could be a major hit for "build with
KDE side". ;)

Bernhard